List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] Re: [xine-cvs] CVS: xine-lib configure.ac,1.186,1.187
From:       Michael Roitzsch <mroi () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2003-11-02 18:31:49

CC'ing Daniel, since he started the thread

Hi Rocky, Hi Daniel,

> > Well, as long as things work nicely, I would be fine with
> > defaulting to the external versions. But for that, someone with
> > knowledge of both the libraries and the xine part should oversee
> > the versions required in xine-lib's configure.
>
> Yes, I will undertake to make sure that external versions work with
> xine-lib. And now that *you* mention it you'll see that the external
> versions of libcdio an vcdimager that were originally checked as
> prerequisites in configure.ac where in fact wrong. I had since
> quietly corrected that. So I will undertake sure ...

Daniel, I think its fair to give this a chance. Back then in the
discussion about the vcdx inclusion, our position won, so I suggest we
try it Rocky's way this time with the following policy:

* configure checks for the external libraries, when they all have
  sufficient versions, we take the external ones
* Otherwise (this includes not having the libraries as well), we
  use the internal ones.
* A configure switch allows you to force the internal ones.
* Rocky will be responsible for maintaining the versions configure
  checks for.
* Whenever anyone feels the urge to merge, get the copies of the
  external libs and throw them in src/input/vcd, since Rocky tracks
  the versions, they should work, but testing is always a good thing.

Since I hope, we can all agree on this for now, I already commited a
modified version of my latest patch. I know we had problems with
external libdvdnav in the past, but I think Rocky is much more
disciplined and I trust him to get the versions right.

> > > [project          version	     mediator
> > > libcdio	          0.64-cvs
> > >
> > > There is supposed to be a name at the end. That is currently
> > > missing.
> >
> > Yes, your name is currently missing here.  ;)
>
> For incompatible changes to libcdio and/or vcdimager I'll do the
> additional work of making sure xine-lib is in sync. If you want me to
> add my name for that, okay.

Your decision. I deliberately chose the word "mediator" instead of
"maintainer", since there is no real obligation involved with the
entry. Its just a person you can turn to in case of questions about
merging and about the libs themselves.

> > > Which leads into the weirdness in the option
> > > --with-external-vcdnav (or --with-internal-vcdnav). VCDNAV is
> > > really inappropriate here. As was noted, there are two
> > > libraries: libcdio and libvcdinfo. (Well actually 3 since
> > > there's also libvcd). NEITHER OF THESE HANDLES NAVIGATION. The
> > > navigation part is inside xine lib or the old xine-vcdx.
> >
> > ./configure --help should clarify, but feel free to change that.
>
> Well, yes now that you mention that, if you look at the version diffs
> I did in fact did change the help there too. However this is still no
> excuse for having an option named "foo" that really has nothing to do
> with "foo".

My patch changed this to --with-internal-vcdlibs.

> It is my practice to test things with and without the library and did
> here. I must have done something wrong in testing.

This time the problem might be on your side.  ;)
But I hope not. My latest patch works here without the libs, does it
work for you as well?

Michael

--
panic("aha1740.c"); /* Goodbye */
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1740.c