List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] Re: [xine-cvs] CVS: xine-lib/src/demuxers
From:       Bastien Nocera <hadess () hadess ! net>
Date:       2003-09-28 0:19:13

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 10:51, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 10:01, tmattern@noos.fr wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:41:29 +0100, "Bastien Nocera"
> > said:
> >
> > > I'm worried about this change. I went into a lot of trouble getting the
> > > bitrate right, so that the lengths aren't broken. Is there any reason
> > > why you changed that now?
> >
> > The bitrate computed by the demuxer was wrong, the bitrate computed by the
> > decoder was right, now it's the same number ;)
> > I've compared with xmms, it looks ok.
> > Do you have some problematic streams ?
> > I guess id3v2 tags might change lengths. I'm sure there is some problems with
> > id3v2 tags with pics or some other strange things.
>
> I didn't use to get the bitrate from MP3s with Xing VBR headers into
> account. And the decoder's bitrate *will* be broken for these, as the
> bitrate given by the decoder will be the bitrate at the instant, not the
> average bitrate.

You did break it.

From rhythmbox' test-info
./test-info "Bob Sinclar - III/So High.mp3" | grep length
length: 304

This page says 311 seconds (not quite there...)
http://musicbrainz.org/showalbum.html?albumid=144327

But xine says more than 11 minutes!

I'm not able to get the bitrate of an mp3 without playing it back
either...

I uploaded a file for you to test:
http://www.hadess.net/tmp/Beat%20The%20Clock.mp3

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a
fork and imagine him in jail.