List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] RE: Re: X11 & VNC vs running directly
From:       Michael Roitzsch <mroi () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2003-09-30 14:07:25

Hi Julie,

> Firstly I wanted to thank those of you that have helped me, it's been
> great! I experimented with Xv and XShm outputs. It appears that my
> vnc connection always uses XShm, but when I ran it directly on the
> box, it tried to use Xv. This wouldn't display anything, and then
> when I ran another instance while running, it could see that Xv is
> busy and defaulted to XShm, which works perfectly. Just out of
> curiosity, what is the difference between Xv and XShm, and why can Xv
> only handle one instance at a time whereas XShm can create lots of
> instances? I am running SuSE 8.2.

The main difference between Xv and XShm is that with Xv, the graphics
hardware does all the image scaling and colourspace conversion for us,
while with XShm, the CPU has to do all that. Therefore XShm is much
slower than Xv, especially in fullscreen mode.
Also, Xv fullscreen usually looks better, since XShm does nearest
neighbour upscaling, while the GPU can do some bilinear scale.

How many Xv surfaces xine can use simultaneously depends on the features
of the graphics card and what the XFree driver module supports.

Now you only have to find out, why Xv does not work four you. What
graphics card do you use? Maybe somewhere is a newer driver available.

Michael

--
printk("Entering UltraSMPenguin Mode...\n");
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc64/kernel/smp.c