List:       xine-devel
Subject:    [xine-devel] Re: disposing video_out
From:       Ewald Snel <ewald () rambo ! its ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2003-01-14 16:54:16

Hi Miguel,

[...]

> It's not much the plugin API which worries me but the access to internal
> data structures. i agree with you that audio api is one area i haven't
> seen any reason to change for some releases, but a subtle change in
> xine_stream_t, for example, can create binary compatibilities for plugins
> as well.

Audio plugin implementations don't require access to these internal data
strucutures. The ao_driver_t interface and ao_new_port() API call should be
enough to implement a (special) audio driver. I have used this to implement
the 'FIFO' driver for the xine aRts plugin.

> i don't have a xine tree to check here but does audio plugins access any
> internal structures? if not, i see no problem in we declaring it "stable"
> or something.

Only 'xine->config' is used by the default xine audio output drivers. This can
easily be replace with xine_config_lookup_entry() and related function calls,
which can be used with the 'xine_t' pointer as a parameter.

[...]

> regards,
>
> Miguel

bye,