List:       xine-codec-devel
Subject:    Re: [codec-devel] Unsupported codecs in linux.
From:       Robert Kaiser <KaiRo () KaiRo ! at>
Date:       2004-07-25 20:24:43

> Is there a list anywhere listing which codecs have not yet been reverse
> engineered so that they can work in open source software.
>
> I have some.
> 1) .swf files with video/radio links in them.
> 2) dvd audio.
>
> Are there any more?

I'm not sure if this counts as a codec, a demuxer, or whatever, but the
most popular graphics format for karaoke isn't supported in any Linux
app so far (the format used in CD+G discs and MP3+G files).

I collected some information about that format(s) in RFE 708006 on
xine's sf.net pages:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=708006&group_id=9655&atid=359655

Though I don't really have a great lot of spare time left, I'd love to
help anyone who dares digging into that issue - I only got the big
second problem that I haven't any C hacking experience either, and my
only experience in video apps is using xine and reading this list ;-)

But I have a bunch of those CD+G discs, and I have some MP3+G files on
my hard disc, and I'd really love to play them on Linux...

Anyways, not sure if that even belongs here...

Robert Kaiser