List:       xine-codec-devel
Subject:    Re: [codec-devel] Lowest CPU utilization audio codec?
From:       Jim Leonard <trixter () oldskool ! org>
Date:       2004-01-24 0:18:47

Mike Melanson wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jim Leonard wrote:
>

>>of how it works.  I seem to recall that the quality was really great for
>>speech but not so hot with music (which is common of most ADPCM, really).
>

> 	Are you sure about this? I am not much of an audiophile, but much
> of the ADPCM I have ever listened to sounds, well, not bad to my untrained
> ears. I know voice codecs (vocoders), by contrast, and I know how bad they
> can sound when you use them to compress general audio.

There is audible distortion with IMA ADPCM (to me, at least).  I tried the
"Microsoft" implementation of ADPCM and, surprisingly, there was less
distortion.  Maybe the IMA tables are flawed in some way?

Do a double-blind test of 22050Hz 16-bit ADPCM and the original raw PCM and
you should be able to pick out the ADPCM more than 50% of the time.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter@oldskool.org)                    http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?             http://www.mobygames.com/