List:       xine-codec-devel
Subject:    Re: [codec-devel] Bink For Linux
From:       Jim Leonard <trixter () oldskool ! org>
Date:       2003-11-24 21:23:54

Jim Leonard wrote:

> I sure wish it had that much to say about Smacker!

Bite my own tongue:  Found this:

--begin--
Smacker, though, doesn't even attempt to use high-color encoding techniques,
so I don't have the same problem of mapping palette indices in
pseudo-perceptual order.  I do find that with 256-color images, the more
knowledge one subsystem has about the other, the better you can do...

In the first Smacker, we had four steps - the halftoning system, the color
quanitizer, the lossy compressor, and the entropy encoder.  Over time, we
were able to keep doing better by merging the steps - first we merged the
halftoning and quantization step, then we merged the color quantization into
the lossy encoder (when compressing high-color input).  Each merge gave us
quite a bit of improvement, but it did make the code uglier (now-a-days,
just opening the encoder module causes light to bend around my monitor).
---end---

This "halftoning" system intrigues me.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter@oldskool.org)                    http://www.oldskool.org/