List:       xindice-dev
Subject:    Re: Status
From:       Kimbro Staken <kstaken () xmldatabases ! org>
Date:       2002-06-21 20:49:58

On Thursday, June 20, 2002, at 06:39  PM, Kurt Ward wrote:

> I'm going to disappear for a couple of weeks while I move across the
> country.
> I am looking forward to continuing the development of the server, but I'm
> not sure
> what is/needs/should/could/have-to be worked on at this point.  Most of
> the
> basic
> XML-RPC API is in CVS along with the unit tests.  Not sure if anyone has
> looked
> at it yet, but it seems to be getting there.  Some of the changes I have
> made may require
> a few modifications to James Bates XML:DB code in the CVS scratchpad
> (James,
> if you are still around it would be with GetDocumentCount() and
> GetCollectionCount() due to XML-RPC types). I'm also a little confused
> with
> all of the messages about working on a stand-alone server.  Don't get me
> wrong, I think this a GREAT idea, but to me it leaves the other pieces
> hanging a bit. Is the server to become stand-alone with separate access
> layers?  Or is that later down the road than a 1.1 release?

The server is really already in layers, but nobody can see that because it'
s too complex. The embedded project will simply extract the pieces that
make up the database core and make it clearer how to use that piece alone
within an application. Basically stripping away all the junk that exists
to expose the database functionality to the network. Not all applications
require a network enabled database.

What I'm thinking/hoping happens is that we end up shipping two different
Xindice distributions. One for embedded applications without any of the
network server stuff and then one network enabled like it is now. The
network enabled version is really just an application built around the
embedded Xindice database anyway so it would simply use the other
distribution. This way if people don't like the way the server is exposed
to the network they'll be free to build their own based on the embedded
database.

All of this is post 1.1 of course.

> Kimbro/Tom/James:  Let me know what you would like me to spend time on
> once
> I get up and running, I'll be itching to get at the keyboard.

We need to ship 1.1. To do that we need to get people using the new APIs
and make sure that we resolve the UTF-8 issues. We should move the XML-RPC
stuff out of scratchpad and into the main tree and convert it to be the
default XML:DB implementation used. Once that is done all the command line
tools will automatically switch over to XML-RPC. I'm hoping I can do most
of this before you get settled.

Let's see how far we get before you get settled. Hopefully by then we'll
be back to working on some actual new features. :-)

> Kurt

Kimbro Staken
Java and XML Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org/xindice