List:       xindice-dev
Subject:    XML-RPC experiments
From:       Kimbro Staken <kstaken () xmldatabases ! org>
Date:       2002-03-22 10:59:21

I've added an experimental implementation of the message oriented XML-RPC
API I proposed. It only implements the InsertDocument and GetDocument
messages right now and the implementations are simplistic. My goal is just
to prove the concept.

In particular I wanted to experiment with UTF-8 in XML-RPC. It seems that
it works fine as long as you use Xerces as the XML parser. The XML-RPC
library uses MinML by default and with that parser things get corrupted.
The one glitch that I ran into was the python XML-RPC library I was
testing with complains when it gets international characters. It works
fine if you stick to ASCII. I think it's just a limitation of the parser
it uses so I don't see it being a major problem, but it is something to
watch out for. Python 2.2 has built in XML-RPC that claims to support
UTF-8.

Using Apache XML-RPC for both client and server works fine.

I setup a scratchpad area similar to that in Cocoon. I don't know if it's
exactly that same, but I'll leave it for Gianugo to set up properly.

To build the code just run "ant scratchpad" and it will build a version of
the server that includes XML-RPC. You also need to enable  it via
system.xml. Just add an entry to the components configuration.

<component class="org.apache.xindice.server.rpc.RPCMessageHandler"
name="RPCHandler"/>

There's also a trivial test client org.apache.xindice.server.rpc.Client
that shows how to invoke the API.

Overall, I like the way this looks. It will be particularly valuable when
we add things like transactions in the future.

Kimbro Staken
Java and XML Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org/xindice
XML:DB Initiative http://www.xmldb.org