List:       xfree86-forum
Subject:    Re: [forum] XFree86 modularization
From:       Michel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?= <michel () daenzer ! net>
Date:       2003-06-02 23:37:08

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 16:28, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Damien Miller writes:
>  > Owen Taylor wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Here's a quick (if late) writeup of my thoughts on X modularization;
>  > > I'm not sure it really addresses your questions, since the
>  > > driver interfaces are the part of X that I'm least familiar
>  > > with, but perhaps it is useful anyways.
>  >
>  > How about some un-modularisation, in the form of getting DRI and GATOS
>  > in the main CVS or at least more frequently merged?
>  >
>  > There is a major barrier to development of these projects as they are
>  > all interdependent, yet only merged around release time. (less
>  > frequently it seems in the case of GATOS). There doesn't seem to be a
>  > single place where one can obtain the "current CVS XFree w/ latest DRI &
>  > GATOS".
>  >

> And this will even become worse when forks create their own CVS
> repositories.
> The GATOS for is currently remerged however I suspect that DRI wishes
> to remain an independent project.

Why do you think so? I do think there should be discussion about this,
but there hasn't been yet, has there?

It looks like the DRI 3D drivers are about to move into the Mesa tree.
It might make sense to move the DDX parts into the XFree86 tree,
provided the developers get CVS access [1]. It might also make sense to
keep the DRM separate from everything else in order to try and keep
clean interfaces between either two parts.

Thoughts?

[1] It's my understanding that this was the main reason for the DRI to
be a project of its own in the first place, but I wasn't around the DRI
back then, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.