List:       xfree86-forum
Subject:    Re: [forum] XFree86 modularization
From:       Stefanos Harhalakis <v13 () priest ! com>
Date:       2003-05-10 8:56:27

On Friday 09 May 2003 07:25, Torrey T. Lyons wrote:
> Here's a counter example: In recent history this would have caused
> great difficulties on Darwin/Mac OS X with Freetype. Freetype is
> largely only installed on Mac OS X as part of XFree86. Although
> Freetype supports Mac OS X, the Freetype team has no committers with
> a Mac OS X box. Until a few days ago you could not even build
> standard Freetype on Mac OS X using gcc but had to use a proprietary
> compiler. I do not mean to pick on the Freetype team--they do a great
> job. Freetype has just had a different emphasis with regards to which
> platforms they support. However, whenever XFree86 depends on an
> external library that may not have the same level of support for all
> the platforms XFree86 supports, you need to have XFree86 maintain a
> local copy of the library.

A local copy is a workaround for a short period of time. After that the
package (any package) will get fixed and the local copy will be useless. You
don't have to make the local copy part of the main distribution. You can add
another (optional) module for this kind of packages that need patches and/or
provide separate patches.

> --Torrey
<<V13>>