List:       xfree86-devel
Subject:    Setting up a runtime-only package?
From:       Kean Johnston <jkj () sco ! com>
Date:       2003-10-31 20:33:30

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get together the packaging requires for XFree86 so that I
can provide it to our users. Ideally, I would like to split the
packaging into at least two pieaces, possibly three. At the very least I
would like to provide a "runtime" component that has all of the required
shared libraries, data files and header files, so that customers can run
other precompiled stuff, or develop X applications. The shared libs and
include stuff is easy, I know what to include there, but what else is
needed for a pure runtime environment (no server, no standard clients)
such that, for example, I can compile Mozilla against the XFree86 libs
and have it run. Does anyone have an idea of what else is required? I am
guessing the fonts will be required, but how many other bits and pieces
in usr/X11R6/lib are required?

The second piece would be all the clients, the server itself and
anything not in the runtime package, as well as all of the man pages. A
possible third piece would be to have all of the fonts in their own
package, or perhaps all of the doc in its own package too.

If anyone can point me at any docs, or help shed some light on this, I
would be extremely grateful.

Regards, Kean.