List:       xfree86-devel
Subject:    RE: C+T 69030 driver on powerpc
From:       "Rob Taylor" <robt () flyingpig ! com>
Date:       2003-10-30 18:39:38

>  > so I correct myself. looks like its nothing to do with the kernel
>  > framebuffer driver. it mroe to do with the state the card gets
> left in after
>  > being half configured *phew*!! so thats makes life a bit
> easier - i just
>  > need to fix the card configuration!
>  >

> This should not happen. It can only happen when the Xserver has the
> ROM BIOS mapped. Judging from your log that shouldn't happen.
> Can you find out where it happens? You can hardcode a test for the
> relevant PCI config space register and PCI tag in the appropriate
> PciWrite() function and call a function you can breakpoint from gdb.
> There are three functions for this purpose: xf86Break1/2/3().

Debugged! The mangling occurs when it trys and fails to map the ROM BIOS
(and of course my embedded board doesnt have a rom bios..).
Mangling occurs in handlePciBIOS, i'm afraid i'm not knowledgable enough
about how this code should work to explain why, tho. It seems that when
xf86ReadDomainMemory fails and it tries to restore the base register with

if (savebase) pciWriteLong(Tag, PCI_MAP_REG_START + (b_reg << 2),(CARD32)
savebase);

(where b_reg=0, savebase=0xfa000000)

the card doesnt like this and resets BASE0! (i.e. the line
'BASE0     0xfa000000  addr 0xfa000000  MEM'
disappears from scanpci -v)

odd.
Luckily i can just work around this using NoINT10 :)

Onwards!

Rob Taylor
Senior Developer    robt at flyingpig dot com
Flying Pig Systems  http://www.flyingpig.com