List:       xfree86-devel
Subject:    Re: Cygwin/XFree86 - Staying or leaving XFree86.org? [Was: Re: Cygwin/XFree86
From:       Harold L Hunt II <huntharo () msu ! edu>
Date:       2003-10-27 16:13:21

Andrew,

Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, David Dawes wrote:
>

>>On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:37:29PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>>
>>>No, this is about my submitting Cygwin-specific bugs that can't actually
>>>be assigned to me for committing them, even though I am the "expert" on
>>>Cygwin/XFree86.  This thread started to point out the hypocrisy of the
>>>situation and to see what the official response to this was.
>>
>>When I discussed this with you privately a while ago all I got were
>>disrespectful and insulting responses.  Now there is more of the same.
>>As a volunteer myself, I don't have to take this type of attitude from
>>you or from anyone else.  And I won't.
>

> While I don't know the facts about this private discussion,
> I've been involved with XFree86 long enough to see a pattern.
>
> We have lost developers who might have been valuable to us by not giving
> them CVS access. I'm afraid to say that from the outside it appears
> that if David had been able to swallow his pride a little more,
> things might have turned out a little different.

Thanks.  You know, a lot of people involved in this discussion might
think that I have some intimate knowledge of the past history of the
XFree86 project and the people in charge.  In fact, I did not have this
knowledge until yesterday evening.  I hadn't even realized that David
Dawes was really the one in charge of this project.  It never mattered
to me.  So, if anyone thought I was going after particular people, they
were simply wrong: I had no idea who to even ask.

That is another part of the problem here: There is no definition of how
or who to approach for CVS access.  There is no formal review process.
It is entirely subjective and random.

> I know that the offer of CVS commit privileges swelled my head,
> and that I brought my own agenda to the negotiation; I make
> no claim that David acted in an unfriendly manner to me, or even
> against XFree86's best interests in not giving me CVS access.
> For all I know, privately every developer may act like a prima donna
> in negotiating CVS access, and David may be a saint stuffed with
> humble pie.

I wasn't even offered CVS commit privileges.

> The fact remains that there are developers out there who without CVS
> access, who those who don't know the facts think could be making an
> even bigger contribution if they did have access.

Yes, it is a said state of affairs.

Harold