List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] i need some help please, i can't run startx
From:       Jean Jacques <jean-jacques () duclaux ! net>
Date:       2004-08-29 15:36:28

Hello,

> First you you take this advice into account. Running a 3+ years old
> software is calling for troubles.

Thanks for your help, what should i user instead of Xfree86 ? any advice ?

> You can't load freetype and xtt at the same time. You have to choose
> one of the 2. For european fonts the freetype module is usually
> performing well: remove the line loading "xtt" from you
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
> __

You're right !!!
I just still have a little trouble:

(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

As my plan is to startx on a remote server (which doesn't have any
screen), and as i'm running windowsXP on a  laptop i thought that this
trouble may come from my terminal windows software (i use putty)

ANy idea ?