List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] XFree86-4.4 - VIA driver - Option "PanelSize"
From:       Luc Verhaegen <libv () skynet ! be>
Date:       2004-07-29 20:29:45

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 08:58:04PM +0200, Owen.G wrote:
> 'Summary of new features in 4.4.0.  "A new driver for several VIA
> integrated graphics chipsets has been added."'
>
> The VIA driver documentation at www.xfree86.org says the VIA driver's
> display resolutions are:
>
> Option "PanelSize" "string"
> Specify the size (width x height) of the LCD panel attached to the
> system. Sizes 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1400x1050 are
> supported.
>
> My LCD monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 172w) has the following attributes:
> Horizontal Frequency (Hz): 30-81
> Vertical Frequency (Hz): 56-75
> Maximum Resolution: 1280*768
>
> <silly question>
> Even if I specify the horizontal and vertical refresh rates in "xf86cfg"
> myself, I'm not going to get 1280x768 on my display am I?
> </silly question>
>
> Advice gratefully accepted.
>
> Owen

This sounds like a standard LCD monitor, which you, since i still haven't
seen actual unichrome hardware with DVI, probably have connected off a
standard D-SUB/HD-15 VGA connector. In this case, the PanelSize option is
(or should be) pretty much ignored.

Given the current state of the via driver (this is inherited from via) it
is quite impossible to freely set your own modes (i'm spending quite a
bit of my time on this though). Fortunately, the modetables which via
seems to prefer include 1280x768.

Luc Verhaegen.
unichrome.sf.net