List:       xfree86
Subject:    [XFree86] multipe virtual modes
From:       Luke Vandervort <ezra () rochester ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-11-30 0:39:56

Hello, I am ruuning the latest XFree86 on a slack 9.1 box with a dual
head Nvidia card, with Twinview configured to display a single 2048x768
screen. It works very very well. The only problem is when I switch
screen modes, (ctrl-alt-+) so I can use just a single monitor, I end up
with a single monitor with a virtual desktop that is still 2048x768
instead of a 1024x768 monitor with no virtual space.

Is there a way to specify different virtual modes with every screen mode?

here is a snippet of my xf86config.

> # **********************************************************************
> # Screen sections
> # **********************************************************************
>
> # Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
> # the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
> # may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
> # option.
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier  "Screen 0"
>     Device      "nvidia0"
>     Monitor     "g740"
>     DefaultDepth 24
>
> Option "NvAGP" "3"
>     Option "TwinView" "true"
>     Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30.0-69.0"
>     Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50.0-120.0"
>     Option "MetaModes"  "1024x768,1024x768; 1024x768, NULL; NULL,
> 1024x768"
>     Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
>
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       24