List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] 50 or 60 inch plasma display and xfree?
From:       Thomas Winischhofer <thomas () winischhofer ! net>
Date:       2003-11-29 4:25:51

andrep wrote:
> hello,
> does anyone know if a 60 inch NEC plasma display works with xfree? i think
> with a resolution of 1365x768 it should work or i am false?

The panel is not the issue, the graphics hardware is.

Generally: Yes - if we're talking analog (VGA or DVI-A). If the graphics
hardware you're working with allows ModeLines, no problem. NEC manuals
are very detailed, so you will find the required timing there.

However, most hardware won't accept resolutions which aren't a multiple
of 8 (or 16). The NEC panels I know (42MPx/50MPx/61MPx, xxxVP4 and
possibly xxxXM1) support 1360x768 and/or 1376x768 anyway. But be aware
that some modes require manual changes via the panel's OSD menu to be
recognized; for example, 1376x768 requires RGB mode "wide1" for NEC
panels; these panels won't accept 1360x768 via DVI-D. For a detailed
mode list, see the panel's manual.)

As for digitally connected plasma panels (via DVI-D) in general, I don't
really know, but I would guess that most drivers that support digital
output and ModeLines would not cause any trouble.

(Besides, the "sis" driver has a small built-in database for some plasma
panels [NEC, Pioneer and Panasonic], so no ModeLine is required for
digital or analog output. Just add the desired mode [XxY] to your
Screen/Display section.)

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer