List:       xfree86
Subject:    [XFree86] Display priviledges
From:       "VAKKALANKA  RAO Sridhar" <SVakkalankarao () covansys ! com>
Date:       2003-09-30 14:02:02

Hello,

I have a bunch of Red Hat P III machines and a single Debian powerpc. On the Red \
Hat's, I have no problem executing the sequence of commands:

machine-a# xhost +
machine-a# telnet <machine-b's IP addr>

---------------
login/password sequence
---------------

machine-b# export DISPLAY=<machine-a's IP addr>
machine-b# xterm

---------------
an xterm window appears
---------------

However, when I try the same sequence when I log in from the Debian powerpc machine, \
upon typing xterm, I get the following error:

Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s

This problem occurs only when I originally start from the Debian powerpc machine. \
When I originate from any of the Red Hat P III machines, I have no problem connecting \
to any of the other Red Hat P III machines as well as to the Debian powerpc machine. \
Please tell me what settings I must change in my Debian powerpc in order to get this \
sequence to work.

Thanks
Sri