List:       xfree86
Subject:    [XFree86] Re: upgrading video card
From:       "Mike A. Harris" <mharris () www ! linux ! org ! uk>
Date:       2003-08-31 19:54:37

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Michael Juntunen wrote:

>I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to replace
>my video card if I am ever going to get anything other than 640
>x 480 off of my monitor.
>
>I was having the same problems in linux and windowz 98 until I
>finally found a good windows driver.  Unfortunately the linux
>drivers don't seem to be there.

You haven't mentioned anywhere what video card you're using that
you're having trouble with.  Impossible to make a suggestion
without any information.

>So I was hoping for some feed back on personnel experiences with
>different video cards that will work on my machine.
>
>Pentium II 400 mghz
>AGP 2x slot
>
>I am considering the Radeon 9000 series, but have seen
>some mixed reviews about it.
>
>any suggestions or comments would be greatly
>appreciated.

XFree86 4.3.0 supports 3D on all Radeon hardware up to and
including the Radeon 9000 and 9100.  2D-only support is included
for Radeon 9500Pro/9700Pro.  This is using the stock XFree86
supplied open source drivers.  In order to get working 3D on the
supported cards, you must be running an OS that integrates the
proper kernel support automatically (such as Red Hat Linux 9 for
example), or you need to manually compile the proper kernel
modules from source code if your OS doesn't supply what is needed
for DRI to work in 4.3.0.

Radeon 9200 2D/3D support has been added to developmental CVS, as
has Radeon 9600/9800 2D support.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris