List:       xfree86
Subject:    [XFree86] Random crashes - XFree 4.3 + Radeon
From:       Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin () hermes ! usherb ! ca>
Date:       2003-05-27 17:40:25

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Presario 1720 laptop to Mandrake 9.1 (from RH
7.3) and discovered it started crashing randomly, several times a day. I
suspect an X server problem but I'm not 100% sure. I have the same
problem under RedHat 9 and I also tried different kernels, but the
problem is always there: the display goes blank, PCMCIA shuts down (no
power on card), no error message/panic, anything.

The reason I suspect the X server is that this tends to happen when I
use X apps, mostly gtk2 apps. For example in RH9, just changing the gtk2
fonts crashes my machine every time. I've tried both the "radeon" and
the "ati" and it doesn't change anything. Also tried with and without
DRI (though I think it doesn't matter since I have <8MB video RAM and
DRI can't work anyway). Here's my setup:

Compaq Presario 1720CA laptop
PIII 1GHz/512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility M6 / 8 MB RAM
SXGA+ TFT (running at 1400x1050, 16 bpp)

Anyone has an idea how I can solve this problem?
Thanks,

	Jean-Marc

P.S. Please CC me as I am not subscribed.

--
Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)