List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] Getting notify event of vertical refresh
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2003-04-08 2:58:56

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:37:25AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 23:31, Billy Biggs wrote:
> >
> >   You seem to be interested in using the NVIDIA kernel module inside
> > something like DirectFB.  Does this even make sense?  DirectFB is built
> > on top of fbcon.  I don't know how well that would work.
>
> Indeed, AFAIK the nvidia drivers don't work well together with rivafb,
> if at all.

They seem to work for me, though not what I would call "well." For instance,
I can load rivafb, use for directfb apps, and afterwards start the regular X
server (with binary NVidia drivers) and X works fine, but after exiting it
the text console's cursor appears as four little purple squares. There may
also be some instability if I try to run a directfb app afterward. But they
do coexist *somewhat* peacefully.

However, this is irrelevant from my point of view. What I want is a wrapper
of some sort that would allow directfb (or fbcon or whatever is responsible
for the drivers) to use X-style video drivers. This would replace rivafb
instead of running with it. I don't know the first thing about doing it
though, and it turns out it wasn't what Billy had in mind, so never mind.

--
Furrfu!		r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t