List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] Re: X 4.3 Freezes Computer when restarting
From:       Gary Greene <greeneg () student ! gvsu ! edu>
Date:       2003-03-16 13:54:55

On Sunday 16 March 2003 7:04 am, Ken Stanley wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 01:42, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>     On 16 Mar 2003, Ken Stanley wrote:
>     >When I try to restart X 4.3 my computer freezes completely after the
>     >screen goes blank. Something about X is not shutting down properly. I
>     >use Gnome 2.2, but it can't be that because this also occured when
>     > using twm as the window manager. What could cause X to behave this
>     > way?
>
>     Try disabling your sound card, so that sound drivers do not load
>     at all.  Then try starting and stopping X.  If that solves it,
>     then the sound drivers are potentially buggy.
>

> Actually, I don't have sound enabled already because this computer
> doesn't have a sound card. And when I tried compiling a new kernel I
> didn't compile sound drivers. I turned them off.
>
>     Another common problem is APM.  Disable APM in your BIOS, and
>     disable apmd from being loaded at OS boot time.
>
> Same as above, I don't have it, disabled it, and did not compile it in
> the customer kernel. Someone on another forum suggested it might be a
> hardware issue and to see if there is an update to my BIOS. I am going
> to try that first. Another thing I can try is to switch the hard drive
> out with the Windows 2000 machine and try to load X that way... that
> would definately tell if it's hardware.
>

>     If neither suggestion works, it could be an X bug possibly, or
>     perhaps something else.
>
>     --
>     Mike A. Harris

What's the video card in you machine?

- --
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.gvsu.edu
 08:54:14 up 14:13,  3 users,  load average: 1.06, 1.07, 1.04
Founder and president of the Grand Valley Linux Users Group.
  -=<http://www.gvlug.org>=-
Chief Systems Architect, S4, Inc. - OS Department.
 -=<http://www.s4linux.com/>=-
Project Lead for the Sentinel Linux OS Project (KOMODO)
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : greeneg@student.gvsu.edu