List:       xfree86
Subject:    [XFree86] Re: X 4.3 Freezes Computer when restarting
From:       "Mike A. Harris" <mharris () www ! linux ! org ! uk>
Date:       2003-03-16 6:42:30

On 16 Mar 2003, Ken Stanley wrote:

>When I try to restart X 4.3 my computer freezes completely after the
>screen goes blank. Something about X is not shutting down properly. I
>use Gnome 2.2, but it can't be that because this also occured when using
>twm as the window manager. What could cause X to behave this way?

Try disabling your sound card, so that sound drivers do not load
at all.  Then try starting and stopping X.  If that solves it,
then the sound drivers are potentially buggy.

Another common problem is APM.  Disable APM in your BIOS, and
disable apmd from being loaded at OS boot time.

If neither suggestion works, it could be an X bug possibly, or
perhaps something else.

--
Mike A. Harris