List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] Why does the X server process need a VT =?koi8-r?Q?=3F?=
From:       Dr Andrew C Aitchison <A.C.Aitchison () dpmms ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-05 10:50:46

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Muthal Sangam wrote:

> I have an extra (video card,keyboard,mouse) on my system. I want to
> run an X server so that it will create a display using these devices.
> This will permit one more user to interact with the machine via a
> graphical interface.
>
> I have two layouts defined. When i start up an x server with
> the extra layout. It works fine. But it goes away when i switch the
> virtual terminals. Why should this xserver need a VT ? and go
> away when that VT is not active, it does not make sense. At least
> for my use.

XFree86 has always used the existing (video card,keyboard,mouse),
when VTs became availabler it started using them, but has never gone for
using alternate devices (although it can support extra mice and alternate
video).

> Please let me know if i can run the X server without it attaching to
> any virtual terminal. If there is any documentation/discussions on
> these aspects, please point me there atleast.

I hear that linux 2.5 kernels allow multiple keyboards/mice/video on
different VTs, which would solve your problem.

Alternately http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser
describes how to hack a version of XFree86 to do what you want.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison		Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk	http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna