List:       xfree-xpert
Subject:    [Xpert]Problems with X 4.0.2 and Providia 9685
From:       Logan Hanks <logan () vt ! edu>
Date:       2001-02-08 0:14:58

Hello,

    A few weeks ago I decided to try out X 4.0 for the first time.  I
installed the Debian package for 4.0.1 and tried it out.  Using essentially
the same timings that worked with 3.3.6 for the same video card and monitor,
I got some strange results.

    First, X reported that it was using the video mode that I specified
correctly.  However, the timings that were actually being output to my
monitor were far different.  What should have been an approximately 76 Hz
vertical sync rate was being displayed as something like a 53 Hz sync rate.
The resolution I was seeing was correct, but the display was very wobbly,
trapezoidal, and would occasionally cause my monitor to resync or whatever
when anything on the display changed.

    Looking around at mailling list archives here and there, I gleaned that
there were some known problems with the Trident drivers, particularly
regarding my particular video card (Providia 9685).  I hoped that my problems
would be resolved in 4.0.2, so with optimism I installed the Debian packages
and tested it out.  I got the same results.

    Is this a known bug?  This mailing list is the only way I know of for
reporting bugs.  I'd like to use X 4.0.2, but obviously I cannot until it
works with my (admittedly cheap) video card.  Has anyone else encountered
or resolved this problem?

Logan