List:       xfree-xpert
Subject:    [Xpert] success installing X 4.0.1 on Toshiba laptop
From:       "Susan G. Kleinmann" <sgk () netbox ! kleinmann ! com>
Date:       2000-11-29 21:16:56

This is just to report that I finally did succeed in loading X 4.0.1f on a
Toshiba 2515 CDS laptop (which has a C&T 69000 graphics chipset), using:

-- Thomas Hohenleitner's ctfb.c framebuffer driver
   (http://www.visuelle-maschinen.de/ctfb/ctfb0.40.tgz) with

-- a 2.2 kernel configured with:
   CONFIG_FB=y
   CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=m
   CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=m
   CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=m
   (and also one has to follow the instructions at the end of ctfb.c,
   to manually edit drivers/Makefile so that fbgen.o will be generated), and

-- an X configuration file with the Device section set as follows:

    Section "Device"
       Identifier "Generic Graphics Device"
       Driver     "fbdev"
       BusID       "pci:0:4:0"
    EndSection

    The device wasn't properly recognized til I entered the BusID line above.

Thanks for the help and suggestions from this list.
Susan Kleinmann