List:       xfree-xpert
Subject:    Re: [Xpert]Controlling Render's appetite for dynamic colormap entries
From:       Olivier Chapuis <olivier.chapuis () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-11-07 7:50:38

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 05:19:42PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 0 o'clock on Nov 7, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
>
> > ?? With static class the colors are already defined. It is a 3/3/2
> > standard colormap (StaticColor) and you do not have to allocate or free
> > the colors. There are consecutive the colormap is full (and the
> > code is perfect first = 0, last = num_entries-1).
>
> Actually, StaticColor in fb allocates a 6x6x6 cube and a gray ramp; 3/3/2
> is useless for applications.

Yes, if XFree86Server is not defined. If XFree86Server is defined mi
is used and in this case a 3/3/2 cmap is defined.  Should I undef
XFree86Server? It is defined in config/cf/xfree86.cf via
XFree86ServerDefines. What is the default? I think I have not changed
anything in config/cf/* (but the install path and compiler options).

> QueryPictIndexValues doesn't make this assumption anymore.  That's what
> required having the pixel allocation code save all of the pixel values
> (which is can now use in FindBestColor and FindBestGray).
> QueryPictIndexValues is quite cheap now; it just copies precomputed data
> off to the client.

It was exactly what I have thought after you say that the color allocator
can do some random things.

Regards, Olivier