List:       xfree-xpert
Subject:    Re: [Xpert]can't restart X
From:       Fred Heitkamp <heitkamp () ameritech ! net>
Date:       2002-10-31 12:39:35

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Fred Heitkamp wrote:
>
> I have come across a similar problem on an x86 machine with a G550
> DVI card, running Debian. I have a similar machine running RedHat
> which does not exhibit the problem.
> IIRC, on RedHat xdm dies if the X server misbehaves, and init restarts
> xdm. On Debian, xdm retries the X server, and if X mis-behaves
> often enough* xdm ignores that X session.
> For me, I'm not sure whether the X server completed with the wrong
> return code, or DDC on DVI meant that the xdm gave up waiting for
> the server to restart.

I guess I forgot to add I am not using xdm or gdm.  I boot
to a console and "startx".  I currently am using icewm.
When I said I "log out" I meant I use the logout menu on
icewm.  This should return me to the text console.  This
is where I get the black screen.  I can't switch consoles
or anything like that because the display/console is hosed.

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.