List:       xfree-xpert
Subject:    Re: [Xpert]Re: signal 4 kills X
From:       Egbert Eich <eich () XFree86 ! Org>
Date:       2002-03-31 20:54:16

Mark Vojkovich writes:
 > On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, martin f krafft wrote:
 >
 > > also sprach Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovich@nvidia.com> [2002.03.31.0336
 > > +0200]:
 > > >    You have to turn them on in your shell.  That's the
 > > > "limit coredumpsize" in tcsh.   I think it was "ulimit -c"
 > > > in bash.  See your shell's man page.
 > >
 > > i set ulimit -c 1048576 (1Gb) and reproduced the error, but there was
 > > no core file generated... probably because the binaries i am using
 > > don't include debugging symbols. correct?
 >
 >    You should still get a core.  How useful the core would be
 > would depend how many symbols were present.

The core may not be useful at all if it crashed in a module.
It would probably be better to pick up the module aware gdb
and run X inside this module.
But maybe we should wait a while until the debian XFree8 4.2
update comes out (Brandon?).
Martin has emailed the logfile so I was able to take a look at
it. As it looks like it happened while the server had been running
for a while already. There was absolutely no indication of an
unresolved symbol.

Egbert.