List:       xfree-xpert
Subject:    [Xpert]Savage4 hang from Blaster and Starfish modules
From:       timmons () delanet ! com (Bonard B !  Timmons III)
Date:       2002-03-29 17:44:18

Here is a description of and workaround for the system hangs triggered
by the Blaster and Starfish modules of xscreensaver (version 4.01)
under XFree86 acceleration for a Savage4-based AGP video card.

My system hangs instantly with Blaster. Otherwise, it hangs within
minutes if I run xscreensaver-demo and select the second of the three
Starfish module choices with maximum speed and minimum duration
settings.

Disabling acceleration is clearly overkill; the best workaround I have
found is to enable the following device options in XF86Config-4:

    Option      "XaaNoSolidBresenhamLine" "True"
    Option      "XaaNoSolidTwoPointLine" "True"
    Option      "XaaNoSolidFillRect" "True"

The first two are for Blaster; enabling the third addressed Starfish.
Though this version of XFree86 is 4.1.0, at least the blaster bug
seems to have existed ever since the initial announcement of the
driver supporting the Savage4 in a previous XFree86 version. This is
under the Linux 2.4.16 kernel on Debian GNU/Linux.

Thanks,
Bake