List:       xfree-xpert
Subject:    [Xpert]Re: 3D acceleration broken by upgrading from 4.0.3 to 4.1.0
From:       "Mike A. Harris" <mharris () redhat ! com>
Date:       2001-11-29 23:46:58

On 29 Nov 2001, James Gallagher wrote:

>I hope this is not a FAQ, but if it is I can't find it!
>
>I upgraded from 4.0.3 to 4.1.0 to see if that would stop random display
>freezes. When I did 3D acceleration stopped working. In the
>XFree86.0.log I see that X could not load the drm software:
>
>(==) R128(0): Write-combining range (0xf8000000,0x1000000)
>[drm] failed to load kernel module "r128"
>(II) R128(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
>(EE) R128(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
>
>I tried loading the r128 module by hand (as described in the 4.1.0 docs
>re: DRI) and get an error as follows:
>
>[root@dcz tmp]# insmod
>/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.o
>/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.o: init_module: Cannot
>allocate memory
>Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
>including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

You are presumeably using Red Hat Linux 7.1 with the stock kernel
from the 2.4.2-2 I see there.

>I've also tried using my old XFree86 config file but that didn't help.
>
>Here's the specifics of my system: Red hat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.9-19), ATI
>Rage 128 (actually it's an Xpert 128).

Your above insmod is showing you trying to load a 2.4.2 kernel
module presumeably into the 2.4.19 kernel, which definitely wont
work.  You _never_ need to ever load any kernel module for DRM to
work.  XFree86 loads the required kernel module itself.  If it
doesn't then you either don't have the proper kernel, or don't
have the module for the card you're using.

None of our officially released kernels for Red Hat Linux 7.1
contain DRM modules that are compatible with 4.1.0.  You need to
use the Red Hat Linux 7.2 kernel RPM packages to have working DRM
with XFree86 4.1.0.

>How I upgraded: 4.0.3 was installed from red hat's CDROM; I got 4.1.0
>binaries from the xfree86 web site and ran the Xinstall program.

It is recommended to use the XFree86 4.1.0 RPM packages that come
with Red Hat Linux 7.2 instead of the binaries from xfree86.org,
as they contain the latest stable bug fixes from the
xf-4_1-branch, as well as numerous other fixes and enhancements,
and will integrate in with the rest of the system better.

There most likely will be an XFree 4.1.0 release for 7.1 sometime
but the 7.2 packages are fine for now.

>Any help would be appreciated and again, I apologize if this is a FAQ.

If you're interested in tracking our RPM packages more closely,
and following development, you might also like to join
xfree86-list@redhat.com.  I make test releases and send
announcements there, as well as discussing issues that are
specific to Red Hat Linux, etc.  You can also try #xfree86 on
irc.redhat.com if you'd like some realtime chatter.

Hope this helps.
TTYL

General open IRC discussion:    #xfree86 on irc.openprojects.net