List:       xfree-render
Subject:    [Render] Render can't do ClearType
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2000-08-09 0:53:35

For clear type to work, the rendering code must be able to touch R, G, B
with different alpha values.  I can't think of a way to make that happen
using even a sequence of rendering operations.

Of course, if I assume a particular pair of colors for fg/bg, I can create
custom images, but that seems wrong.

It seems like the 'mask' operand to the compositing operator could be
allowed to specify separate masks for RGB and A; that would provide an
easy solution to the problem.  If you really want to use just the alpha
channel from an RGBA Picture, you would then create a new Picture using a
format that only included the alpha piece from the drawable.

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.