List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Gamma corrected text
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2000-08-07 18:47:46

> Maybe I should mention that when I experimented with antialiased text
> in the past, I got best results using 16 levels of grey (or alpha),
> but applying a "sharpen" transformation, so that the values nearest
> 0 and 1 were pushed closer to those values.

I believe FreeType does some of this; I get quite a few solid pixels.
FreeType generates 256 level images for some reason; seems like overkill
to me, but it was convenient as my rendering code can't yet deal with any
other format.

> Ideally, the font renderer would do the hinting -- that's conceivable for
> Type 1 but would be much harder for TrueType.

FreeType does some coordinate truncation when anti-aliasing; it works
quite well of courier and less well with other fonts.

> As long as the rendering API doesn't freeze in too much detail, though,
> these are possible areas of future research.

All of this stuff lives in the application space; the rendering extension
doesn't care how the alpha masks are generated.

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.