List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Would there be any value in inviting input from game developers?
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2000-08-04 23:52:20

->  A little while ago, my friends did a demo using DirectDraw (2D DirectX)
->  that moved around a 400x300 picture of an airplane with the background
->  set to be transparent, over a 640x480 backdrop picture (in 16 bit
->  TrueColor). The plane image was tied to the mouse, and it was moving
->  rather smoothly, with the frame rate being in the 40-50 fps range.

Hardware acceleration with the rendering extension should provide good
performance in this situation.  I just built a little toy sprite animation
program using the rendering extension:

	sprites:		5 totaling 107500 pixels
	window:			640x480
	depth:			32bpp
	speed:			10fps
	double buffer:		software in-memory pixmap

Factoring out the double buffer blt, this rasterize is running at the
blistering speed of 2000000 pixels/second.  I'm sure Carsten will
come up with a somewhat faster software rasterizer that I can plug into
the bottom end.

Of course, the cool thing is your airplane can have translucent areas
instead of just transparent.  Or you could add lighting effects with
more overlays; specular highlights and bright marker lights.  Too much fun.

Once we move to hardware acceleration, the blending will run at GL texture
speeds and the double buffering won't be squirting the entire frame buffer
over the bus each frame.  I expect performance will be more than
acceptable at that point.

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.