List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Saturation alpha blending vs premultiplied alphas
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () suse ! com>
Date:       2000-07-13 16:48:40

> My point was that it's misleading (to casual readers) to say that the
> OpenGL blending operators can't be used with premultiplied-alpha
> operands.

In fact, the bulk of the operators generate useful results only when used
with premultiplied alpha images.  The essential difference between the two
modes of operation is that "normal" compositing operations are symmetrical
when operating on premultiplied images and assymetrical when operating on
non-premultiplied images; alpha values need a different function than
color values which only SRC_ALPHA_SATURATE provides.

Yes, they're all just arithemetic operations, but in applying them in the
expected environments demonstrates their biases.

keithp@suse.com		XFree86 Core Team	SuSE, Inc.