List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Exposing Regions with XIDs
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () suse ! com>
Date:       2000-07-13 15:16:19

>  If your regions are simple, it's efficient to push them across from
>  the client side. And people will need client-side region implementations
>  anyways.

But there is no way to query regions for windows, the Shape extension has
a lot of kruft because regions weren't first-class objects, and the result
is flashing whenever the wm can't figure out what to do and actually uses
the Shape operators.

(I'm hoping eventually that we'll be able to set a alpha mask on a
 window; in X currently, for drawing operations, you should be using a
 stipple for complex shapes, not a clip region. But for window shapes,
 you don't have a choice -- you simply _can't_ make complex window
 shapes.)

You haven't seen my ALS talk proposal, have you...

keithp@suse.com		XFree86 Core Team	SuSE, Inc.