List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Releasing Xft2 and Fontconfig
From:       Olivier Chapuis <olivier.chapuis () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-05-29 13:27:16

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 09:20:22AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 12 o'clock on May 28, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
>

> > - First I've compiled your packages with freetype-2.0.6. So there
> > is no FT_Get_Next_Char function and this function is defined in
> > fontconfig/src/fccharset.c. It seems that this definition leads to
> > an infinite loop somewhere. With such build a simple programs as:
>
> I haven't tested without FT_Get_Next_Char in quite a while; that function
> dramatically reduces the time it takes to scan fonts for available glyphs,
> so it may not be an infinite loop you're seeing, just a long delay.  With
> any reasonable number of fonts (~100), scanning the available fonts can
> take 15 or 20 seconds.  Note that if you've run fc-cache, there shouldn't
> be a delay.

But I've got the "infinite run" with fc-cache and fc-list too (as it was
the first time a use fontconfig). I think it was an infinite loop, I really
wait a long time (1 or 2 minutes) and also the process go to a large
nice value which is typical for an infinite loop. Maybe you should requires
freetype-2.0.9 for fontconfig?

Regards, Olivier