List:       xfree-newbie
Subject:    [Newbie]here's a head scratcher
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-05-05 0:44:04

system is suse 7.1, which has such a confusion of xfree-3.3.6 and
xfree-4.02 files in /usr/X11R6 that i blew it out and installed a new
set of xfree86-4.02 binaries from the xfree ftp site. machine is a
thinkpad 760xl, which has a trident cyber 9385 (or 9835; i forget
when i don't have it in front of me, as in a choice in xf98config,
where it's 496), screen is 800x600 tft, and the vid card has a meg of
ram. linux-laptops has this machine, but it's from the olden days, so
its XF86Config tips are a little out of date.

anyway, i ran xf86config and made a configuration file. looked at it;
it seemed okay, but i don't discount the possible need for adding a
modeline, which won't be a problem (and hasn't been, because i've
tried it, though the results are unchanged).

here's the weird part: startx repaints the screen, still black. the
drive chugs away. kde2 loads, because i hear, even, the startup
sound. but none of it ever shows up on the screen! to top it all off,
using alt-ctrl-bksp gets me back, of course, to an ordinary console.
looking at the logfile, there has been no error at all reported. it
did work earlier with 3.3.6, and even now i can pop in the OS/2 drive
and boot to a full graphical screen with no problem. so there's some
configuration problem here, but i can't for the life of me find it.

anybody know? or even have a really good guess? it's not trying to
run the external monitor, best i can tell, because i have that
connector turned off.

tia.
--
dep

there's more to history than what's in books;
that's why it took so long to happen.