List:       xfree-newbie
Subject:    [Newbie]User ids, .Xauthority and .ICEauthority
From:       Alan Nash <anash () san ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-01-04 0:46:13

This list is now defunct.  Please subscribe to XFree86.I recently change my user number from 501 to 500 in the /etc/passwd file
on a new PC I am setting up.  I did this so my user# is the same as on my
old machine.  I used chown on all files with user 501 to make it 500,
including "hidden" files such as .Xauthority.

However, when I tried to run X windows, I got an authorization error
involving .Xauthority.  Somehow I solved this problem or at least it
went away (I don't know how) but know I have the same problem with KDE and
.ICEauthority.  What should I do?  What is the proper way to change a
user's number without confusing X, KDE, and other stuff?  I am guessing I
forgot to run something to tell everybody that 501 is now 500, but I don't
know what that something is.

--Alan