List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n]UTF-8 Locales
From:       Markus Kuhn <mgk25 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-09-04 12:21:22

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Kerstin Buchacker wrote:
> I was wondering, if someone could tell me, how to generate/install
> all the necessary stuff to use UTF-8 locales, e.g. for English, German,
> Chinese.
>
> I am running Linux with XFree86 V. 4.1 and glibc 2.2.3.

That should normally be enough.

Make sure you have the suitable locale actually installed. You should get

  $ LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 locale charmap
  UTF-8

> I have tried using the UTF-8 locales that locale -a found (the only one
> was for some weird reason ko_KR.utf8), and have tried generating
> UTF-8 locales using localedef as described in
>    http://www.icewalkers.com/doclib/howtos/Unicode-HOWTO-3.html
> using
>    localedef -v -c -i de_DE -f UTF8 /usr/share/locale/de_DE.UTF-8

I strongly recommended to Ulrich Drepper (glibc maintainer) that the most
common UTF-8 locales including en_GB.UTF-8 and de_DE.UTF-8 should be
preinstalled by the glibc default compilation options, but he wouldn't
listen. :-( So unless you have a good distribution like SuSE 7.2 where the
package maintainers were knowledgeable enough to pregenerate de_DE.UTF-8
etc. for you, you'll have to do it yourself, and the above call to
localedef looks fine to me (better write UTF-8 instead of UTF8 !). If you
don't have root access on your system, you can also install the locale in
your home directory with

  localedef -v -c -i de_DE -f UTF-8 $HOME/local/locale/de_DE.UTF-8
  export LOCPATH=$HOME/local/locale

Then again test whether the locale has been installed with

  $ LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 locale charmap

which should output "UTF-8" if it actually found the locale. The new
locale should also show up with "locale -a".

> When I try using this locale, e.g.
> 	LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 xterm
> I get the error message
> 	Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

Strange. From your above description it should work.

[You can force xterm into the UTF-8 mode also with option -u8, but doing
it via setting the locale correctly is definitely preferable, otherwise
the apps running inside xterm won't know about that you want to use
UTF-8.]

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

Markus