List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n]EUC-JP, etc.
From:       Tomohiro KUBOTA <tkubota () riken ! go ! jp>
Date:       2001-08-30 2:29:26

Hi,

At 30 Aug 2001 00:09:57 +0100,
Juliusz Chroboczek <jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> But sentimentality is not reason enough to do the wrong thing.  Wiping
> a stray tear, forth I go to fight against the twin monsters of CSI and
> ISO 2022.

Please improve Unicode as usable as other encodings such as ISO-8859-1
and EUC-JP.  Then I will think about migrating into Unicode.

One example: I need a free (at least free in "free beer") ssh client
for Windows for UTF-8 (of course including doublewidth characters),
like TeraTerm+TTSSH can be used for EUC-JP.

I need input methods for Japanese.  'Backspace' key must work
well will characters which have different numbers of columns and
bytes.  I want a terminal emulator with fancy background pixmap
and transparency feature like Eterm.  Good UTF-8 XLC_LOCALE is
also needed.  Different-fonts-per-script mechanism which Markus
said is needed.  -misc-variable-* fonts with most glyphs in BMP
are needed.  Character width problems for non-letter symbols
must be solved.  Conversion problems must be solved to communicate
with people who have not migreated into UTF-8 and text files of
Windows and Macintosh.

After most of these problems are fixed and more and more brave
people come to try UTF-8, then, Linux distributions (including
Japanese versions) will adopt UTF-8 as the default encoding.
Then, more common people start to use UTF-8.  A few years after
that when most common people will come to use UTF-8, please
discuss about possibility of stopping support of non-UTF-8 locales.

At least, please, please, please don't think about stopping
supporting non-UTF-8 locales before these needed development
will finish.  (Of course I cannot develop all of them.  I am
a rather user with small knowledge on development.)  Please!

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/