List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n]czech keyboard again
From:       Kamil Toman <toman () artax ! karlin ! mff ! cuni ! cz>
Date:       2001-04-26 10:06:27

> > Hello,
> ..
> > - I'd like to ask how should I implement the pink rows?
> > THREE_LEVEL modificator is obviously not enough since it maps shift+any to any
>   Do you mean to say that "when THREE_LEVEL modificator key already pressed
> Shift key change nothing"?

It seems so (given explicitly accordingly to file: types/iso9995)
    type "THREE_LEVEL" {
        modifiers = Shift+LevelThree;
        map[None] = Level1;
        map[Shift] = Level2;
        map[LevelThree] = Level3;
        map[Shift+LevelThree] = Level3;
        level_name[Level1] = "Base";
        level_name[Level2] = "Shift";
        level_name[Level3] = "Level3";
    };

But don't ask me what is it good for ;)

> > Am I supposed to write st. like FOUR_LEVEL? -- and to adjust all files
> > accordingly?
>   Why not?
>   You can use up to 8 levels in type. (XKB itself allow up to 63 levels in the
> one type but xkbcomp 'unedrstand' up to eight only.)
>   But on the other hand why you can't use more groups instead of more levels?

I considered this (as I know nearly nothing about 'levels'), but such group3
wouldn't make sence for extra usage and I'm not sure somebody doesn't use
ISO_Next_Group to change between us/cz. Due to (if currently set cz (ie group2)):
    interpret ISO_Next_Group {
        useModMapMods= level1;
        virtualModifier= AltGr;
        action= LockGroup(group=+1);
    };
this would lock group3 - a set of various accents and special characters which
could be confusing/annonying if set unintentionaly.

> > - How do I achieve the behaviour that the dead key and 'space' results to
> > standalone deadkey (like if hit on a old-fashioned typewriter)
>
>   Deadkeys behavior isn't XKB issue but Compose mechanism/file.
> Look for example into X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose file:
> <dead_grave> <U>                        : "\331"        Ugrave
> <dead_acute> <U>                        : "\332"        Uacute
> ...but...
> <dead_grave> <space>                    : "`"   grave
> <dead_acute> <space>                    : "'"   apostrophe

I see. Hmmm, I looked into iso8859-2/Compose file - it doesn't seem to be very
consistent either and there are probably other things (unintentionaly) left out.
I'll try to fix it and to send it with cz/sk patch.

> > Kamil Toman
> >
> > P.S. I had a problem with 'ca' layout using THREE_LEVEL. rshift+any hadn't
> > generated anything but ordinary 'any' (state: 0x0). Is there st. special
> > needed for it to get it working?
>
>   Becouse LevelThree virtual modifier isn't mapped to any 'real' modifier.
> To make this modifier workable you have to map it to any real modifier,
> for example
>
>     modifier_map Mod5   { ISO_Level3_Shift  };
> or
>     modifier_map Mod5   { <RCTL> };
>
>   It seems that nobody really use 'ca' symbols map.

Hmm, there also seems to be more of unused (and obsolete) czechoslovakian maps,
I'll also try to clean it up.

> --
>  Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: pascal@tsu.ru
>    Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University
>      University Network |       Tomsk, Russia

Thanks for help (unlike various hotlines it really helped ;).

Kamil