List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n]UTF8_STRING
From:       Juliusz Chroboczek <jec () dcs ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-19 19:21:39

>> Among the Mozilla developers, at least Erik van der Poel and Frank
>> Tang have a complete understanding of these issues.

RP> Juliusz, Please! I know that.

Sorry if what I said sounded disrespectful, this was definitely not my
intent.  My point was that we've discussed UTF8_STRING issues with
them extensively, and that if there's a problem they can handle it (or
get in touch with us).

RP> But I thought there was some point in it. I remembered the discussions
RP> about adding UTF8_STRING without the conversion mechanisms to
RP> COMPOUND_TEXT. That person who asked the question had a problem with this,
RP> didn't he?

Mozilla uses Unicode internally throughout, and uses its own
conversion mechanisms (and is therefore not dependent on the presence
of such mechanisms in Xlib or libc).  UTF8_STRING maps directly to
Unicode, COMPOUND_TEXT is converted, STRING is treated as ISO 8859-1.
All according to the letter of the law.

As far as I can tell, the person having trouble is under the (wrong)
impression that STRING can carry ``multibyte encodings'' if they are
properly ``tagged'' (is he thinking of ISO 2022?).  He doesn't realise
that STRING should carry ISO 8859-1 only, and that COMPOUND_TEXT and
UTF8_STRING are to be used for international text.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz