List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n] CSI and CSD
From:       Bruno Haible <haible () ilog ! fr>
Date:       2001-03-30 13:21:53

MIYASHITA Hisashi writes:
> I regard CSI as a design technique to make the system independent
> of any kind of the concrete character representation.
> In WWW, I could find
>  http://www.sun.com/software/white-papers/wp-asianlanguage/#codeset

Thanks for explaining and for the URL. Now we all know what CSI means.

> ... Why would you like to relate CSI to "Han Unification"?

It was an attempt to parse/understand a highly complicated sentence of
yours. The URL you gave now makes it clear that CSI has nothing to do
with Han Unification.

Now that the terms are clear, I stand by the claim that the technique
of using nl_langinfo(CODESET) to convert user visible text into a Unicode
internal representation, such as used by the XFree86 xterm with "-lc"
option, is CSI.

Mr. Hiura's words in
  http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/i18n/2001-March/001382.html

> By taking "CSI and the layered software development" approach
> rather than "Unicode hard-wiring/do everything in-house" approach,

were just confusing the terms, because both the "layered" and the
"internally Unicode" approach lead to a CSI xterm program.

Bruno