List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n] bidi in Xfree86
From:       hiura () eng ! sun ! com
Date:       2001-02-24 23:11:03

> From: khansari@linux.ce.sharif.ac.ir
> Is there a way for  Xfree86 to support BiDi (Ability to work from
> right to left, as in Farsi, Arabic & Hebrew ?)?

Sun is very close to release XomCTL(the XOM implementation should be
from when X11R6 was released) to X.org for X11R6.5.1, and li18nux.org
has the XomCTL for XFree86 4.0.2, waiting for OpenGroup's final
legal clarification.

Since the code is ready and waiting for legal clarification,
technically it can be released any time soon.

XomCTL is the X level(XOM interface level) support of BiDi including
shape editing, which is currently used by CDE/MOTIF on commercial
UNIXes.

Once it gets released, XomCTL for X11R6.5.1 will be placed on
X.org web site, and XomCTL for XFree86 4.0.2 will be committed
to li18nux.org CVS repository as a part of Xlib-I18N.

--
hiura@{sun.com,li18nux.org,kondara.org,unicode.org} http://www.li18nux.org
Chair, Li18nux/Linux Internationalization Initiative, Free Standards Group