List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    [I18n] Re: German Pfennig sign
From:       Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn () cl ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-28 11:28:19

Pablo Saratxaga wrote on 2000-11-28 08:26 UTC:
> > Post-3.0 characters already accepted by Unicode are listed on
> >
> >   http://www.unicode.org/unicode/alloc/Pipeline.html
> >
> > Argl, how did the U+20B0 GERMAN PENNY SIGN get in there? I don't think
> > there is such a thing as a German penny sign.
>
> Maybe it is the Pfenning ?

There is no German Pfennig sign and there never was one in sufficient
wide use that would justify wasting a BMP position for it. Perhaps
directors of typewriter museums will find after a thorough search a rare
and odd machine that had a sort of Pf key, but then that would be a
non-standard manufacturer-specific antique peculiarity, not anything
that ever entered common usage. The Pfennig is commonly represented only
by the two-character sequence "Pf" in Germay. Neither is there a future
need for a pfennig sign, since the pfennig is going to be replaced by
the cent starting January 2002. Even if there were a need, I don't think
currency (sub)unit names should be translated like in pfennig -> penny.
This will enter the charset literature as a classical example of a
committee going crazy. I suspect that this is just a practical joke by
someone.

Is the submission document for U+20B0 GERMAN PENNY SIGN available online
somewhere?

Markus