List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n] ISO-8859-13 support
From:       Juliusz Chroboczek <jec () dcs ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-21 16:06:27

Pablo Saratxaga <pablo@mandrakesoft.com>:

>> But, for example, SUSE and RedHat does not even include
>> iso8859-13.enc file, so I thought it would be easier to include
>> ISO-8859-13 support at the higher level (XFree) than try to ask all
>> distributors...

We already support ISO 8859-13 at the XFree86 level through an
included encoding file.  If distributors delete this file, then they
are deliberately crippling XFree86.  Please scream.

The solution you are advocating only pushes the problem further: by
hardwiring ISO 8859-13, nothing is done about all the other encodings
that we provide as encoding files, most notably all encodings for
Far-Eastern languages, but also ARMSCII, ISO 8859-11, and a number of
nonstandard glyph encodings (such as the MULE-specific encodings).

PS> Maybe a good compromise would be to include in XFree86 standard
PS> sources a set of various *.enc files ?

We already do, and we do install them.  See xc/fonts/encodings/ and
xc/fonts/encodings/large.

PS> (I have a large collection of them if you want)

If you have anything that we don't already include and may be of use
to many users, please feel free to submit them for inclusion.

                                        J.