List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n] Xkb groups: lock and shift
From:       Ivan Pascal <pascal () info ! tsu ! ru>
Date:       2000-07-27 12:03:18

> Hi
>
> Another question regarding Xkb.
> Assuming I use two groups in my keyboard mapping. the Mode_switch
> (ISO_Group_Shift) and ISO_Next_Group behave similarly (in a way) to shift
> and caps-lock on a standard PC keyboard: Next_Group toggles the active
> group, and Mode_switch temporarily toggles the active group.
>
> However - this analogy is not correct. Next_Group indeed toggles groups,
> but when I am in the secondary group and press Mode_switch, I get back to
> the primary group even after I depress Mode_switch.

  Yes. Becouse Mode_switch by default have 'action' that clears all locks.
(You can see it in xkb/compat/basic file in 'interpretation' of Mode_switch).
  If you unlike this behavior you can remove flag 'clearLocks' from action
- action = SetGroup(group=2,clearLocks);
+ action = SetGroup(group=2);

> BTW: where can I find resonable documentation about the use of xkb
> (beesides the programmer reference that comes with X)?

  This 'programmer reference' have good explanation of xkb internals.

I have writen xkb documentation with detailed description of xkb
'configure files' and some examples. But unfortunatly in Russian only.
http://www.tsu.ru/~pascal/other/xkb/

--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: pascal@tsu.ru
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University