List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n] Changes for xkb/symbos/pc/br
From:       Ivan Pascal <pascal () info ! tsu ! ru>
Date:       2003-12-11 9:28:50

    Hi,

> OK, I have noted that the maps are different, and I suppose they are in
> accordance with what you wrote in "The XKB internals" (I should confess
> I couldn't understand this text very well...).

I guess.  Even in Russian (the language the text was origianly written) it is
quite complicated.  And my poor English translation doesn't make it clearer.
If you pointed me exactly sentences or paragraphs that are unclear for you
I could rework them somehow.

> I would like to try the new maps in pc directory; all I need is to
> change the XF86Config from:
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "br"
>
> to:
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "pc/br"

No.  Those XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbOption are another abstraction level and
they are being mapped to files names using XkbRules.  The rules file in 4.3.0
is also rewritten and maps layout names to 'pc/[layout name]'. (Since you have
XFree 4.3.0 you can check it running setxkbmap program with '-print' option.)
On the contrary to make the server get the keymap file from symbols directory
is a bit tricky.  If you want to use such old file you need to add the layout
name into the list of 'old layouts' in xkb/rules/xfree86 file.

> And I am still using 4.3.0 (I have just downloaded the Xetc.tgz of 4.4
> beta); do these maps work on 4.3.0?

They appeared in XFree86 4.3.0. :)

> BTW, the Japanese map is missing in the "pc" directory...

I left some maps unconverted for different reasons.  Frankly speaking I don't
remember why the Japanese map is one of them (probably because it has
a separate rule in the rules file).  On the other hand nobody complained. :)
I will add such keymap some day.
--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: pascal@tsu.ru
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University